A review by Nicholas Newman
Dragon Professional Individual (DPI) is the personal version of Nuance’s PC-based speech to text product range. It is designed for anyone that needs to create emails, features, web content, blogs, press releases, notices, reports et cetera. Potential users who are slow at typing e.g. under 100 words per minute will especially appreciate how being able to dictate to your computer using DPI will greatly improve your productivity and speed.The latest version of Dragon naturally speaking is calledNuance Dragon Professional Individual. Over the years since Nuance first launched this product in 1994, this speech to text software has evolved and improved. As a result, this useful and productive tool has adapted to meet the ever-changing requirements of its users. Not surprisingly, such efforts have been greatly appreciated by professional wordsmiths like journalists, doctors, lawyers et cetera.
What can it do?
It can aid the user in the following tasks including:
- Optimisation for popular touchscreen PCs
- Formatting and other recognition improvements to minimise post-editing
- Simplified setup and improved user interface
- Enhanced support for recorded audio transcription, with streamlined setup and improved profile management
- Expanded support, including full voice-driven editing, formatting, and command and control within popular desktop or web applications for business
- Contextual guidance tailored to user behavior, as well as improved help to get new users up to speed quickly or for existing users to easily further discover the power of Dragon.
Here are a few of the previous features included as standard in Dragon NaturallySpeaking including:
- Dictating several pages of text
- Enabling voice corrections and revisions
- Voice text formatting
- Voice document navigation
- Built-in commands for starting and closing applications, also navigating between applications by voice
What’s New with Dragon Professional Individual
Here are a few of the changes that have been made including:
• Faster and more accurate than ever with a next-generation speech engine featuring Deep Learning technology
• Formatting and other recognition improvements, to minimize post-editing
• Optimized for popular form factors such as portable touchscreen PCs
• Simplified setup
• Improved user interface and experience
• Enhanced transcription — greater accuracy with new engine, streamlined setup including for third-party speaker,
and improved profile management
• Expanded support, including Enhanced Dictation, for more of the latest business applications
• Contextual guidance tailored to your usage as well as improved help
Why do I like it?
Nuance for many years has been able to claim that in terms of accuracy its various versions of Dragon NaturallySpeaking have been near perfect as humanly possible. This latest version keeps to the same high standards as previous products in terms of quality, responsiveness and accuracy. In this version, what matters most is further improvements have been made in making it easy-to-use. Users will find that Dragon Professional Individual is packed full of a wide range of features and works across a full range of desktop computing needs.
Although, for the inexperienced, you only need a little bit of training, for the software to learn how you speak. Still, it is worth noting that, with the absolute minimum of training, dictation accuracy is superb. As a fresh install on a new computer (that is, without access to existing voice files) DPI proved almost completely accurate. Correcting any errors is relatively straight forward, so that accuracy should improve further over time.
Setup is extremely quick because there’s no longer any need to read pages on the screen of training text. Which you had to do in the past. You can do this later if you find that accuracy needs a boost (which we didn’t).
The latest version of Dragon voice recognition software is well worth the money.